One of the most common types of lawsuits involves personal injury. While some accidents occur as a result of personal fault, many more are the result of someone else’s negligence. When this occurs, it is essential that you consult a personal injury attorney in Freeport, Illinois. This can produce better results for your family than trying to go it alone.
Defining Personal Injury
The term "personal injury" can be used to describe any number of physical or emotional harm. Yet, under the law, specifics do apply. Under American law, personal injury is any form of damage or harm perpetrated upon an individual. The law provides for diverse types including:
The law does not, however, embrace the concept of harm to a reputation. This is covered under slander or libel laws.
What is Personal Injury Law?
Personal injury law is the practice of defenses and remedies in a civil case in which negligent or wrongful conduct is involved. A personal injury attorney for the plaintiff seeks compensation for any harm caused by the actions of the defendant. In Freeport, IL, a personal injury lawyer will handle most cases under what is called the doctrine of negligence. This doctrine insists that every individual in society has certain obligations – specifically:
* Responsibility for his or her actions
* Avoiding ever putting any other individual or individuals at risk
While recognizing some accidents are not avoidable, it also establishes that liability is involved. If a personal injury attorney is to be successful, he or she must prove to the court that the actions of the defendant were not those of a reasonable, responsible or prudent person.
In Freeport, Illinois, a personal injury attorney may be called upon to handle a wide variety of these cases. He may address the claims of those involved in the following personal injury situations:
* Vehicle accidents: Accidents involving vehicles has proven to be the most common source for a personal injury lawsuit
* Medical Malpractice: This covers such things as birth complications, as well as wrong prescriptions, improper diagnosis and various other forms of faulty medical practice
* Construction accidents: These cover certain workplace related incidents and may involve a complete understanding of Workman’s Comp.
* Slip-and-Fall: This comprises another common category handled by a personal injury attorney.
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney
In Freeport, accidents happen as frequently as they do elsewhere across the state and country. Having access to a lawyer may not seem essential, but the experience many face in the courts appears to indicate otherwise. Whether it is simply for advice or to learn your rights, it is always best to consult a lawyer. When it comes to personal injury, you need a specialist in this area of law, someone who will be able to understand your situation and the applicable laws. If you want to go a long way in ensuring the suit will be a successful one, contact a personal injury attorney.