Every time you change your home décor, you’re inclined to change the type of wall covering in the room that you’ve redecorated. This means finding the right material, pattern, color, and even practical effects among the wall coverings that are available. Learn about which material will work with your home décor and make the room that you are decorating into a haven that looks better than you ever imagined it could.
Easy and Inexpensive
Vinyl wallpapers come in a variety of colors and styles with designs printed on them to suit almost any home décor. The application is easy with a simple adhesive that is usually ready-mixed and brushed onto the back so that you roll the paper onto your wall and removing is just as easy. Vinyl can be cleaned, scrubbed, and doesn’t tear as quickly as regular wallpaper will.
Just as well, regular wallpaper also comes in a large variety of colors and styles and can be adapted easily, applied simply, and is relatively inexpensive compared to other wall covering materials. However, it can be difficult to clean as the porous material absorbs stains quickly and will tear if scrubbed too vigorously.
Super Stylish and Affordable
Foil wallpapers, flocked, and heavily embossed or relief papers can offer more texture and style to your wall coverings but will be more expensive and difficult to apply than the vinyl or regular wallpapers.
* Foil and embossed offer shine and reflective areas to the style that ends up on the wall. The patterns must be aligned precisely and foil can conduct electricity so it cannot be applied to areas where there are light switch covers or other electrical connections since it may interfere.
* Flocked paper has textured areas of fabric that can be very pleasing to the eye but when installing, you have to be very careful not to get any paste on the fabric at all. They work best in areas of low traffic where there is less danger of staining and the need to clean the wall coverings.
* Relief paper has raised areas of texture and it is usually applied to walls that have cracks or holes to cover the imperfections and then it is painted over. The paint that is used determines how durable the wall covering will really be. Certain paints chip easier than others or can’t be cleaned as vigorously. This material is best used in areas that need sprucing but won’t be subjected to high humidity or high risk of staining and tearing.
Practical and Creative
Materials like cork, fabrics, and even chalkboard material can create a space that is perfect for an office, home theater, or child’s playroom.
* Chalkboard material or wallpaper has a thin magnetic chalkboard face on one side and paper backing on the other. It is applied like regular wallpaper and can be drawn on with chalk, erased, and cleaned like a regular chalkboard. Your children will be able to freely draw on the walls of their playroom!
* Some fabrics, and even thin carpet, can be used as wall coverings in home theaters and areas where loud noises are bound to occur. The material acts to absorb some of the sound so that is not only aesthetically pleasing but also practical. Watch your surround sound in the media room without disturbing the rest of the house and enjoy the look of the style you’ve created at the same time.
* Cork can be purchased in thin veneers with paper backing and applied to the wall with an adhesive. It is durable, easy to clean, and you can pin things to the entire wall. Turn your home office into a more practical space than you ever believed or cover a wall in your teen’s room so that they can hang their favorite pictures, schedules, and anything else they want on the wall without poking holes right into the plaster.
Natural Wonders and Other Materials
Natural grasses can be woven to create a wall covering, photos can be arranged and printed to be a custom wallpaper, even your own artwork or drawings can become the next style to cover your wall. If the popular materials don’t fit your idea of what makes your next redecorated room a haven, then talk to your designer about what else is out there and find out how you can make your unique space today!